Sunday, January 5, 2014

Setting up SIP Voip on Linphone for Windows Phone 8 with Voip.ms

I use CSipSimple on my android phone all the time.  One of the things keeping me from switching to Windows Phone was lack of support for a voip SIP client.  Linphone for Windows Phone 8 seems like a step in the right direction.  Here is how I setup Linphone on my wife's phone to work with my sip provider, voip.ms.

You can get Linphone to register directly with voip.ms but receiving incoming calls only seems to work when you use an account at Linphone.org so the first thing to do is:

  1. Register at: http://www.linphone.org/eng/linphone/register-a-linphone-account.html
  2. Install the Linphone app on your windows phone.
  3. Enter your linphone.org credentials in the app:

     

  4. Now, log in to your voip.ms account and add a SIP URI for your linphone.org account:

    voip-sip-uri2

5.  You can now add that SIP URI as a destination for a DID number or a ring group, etc.

Hopefully, Linphone will be updated soon so incoming calls work in the background without needing a linphone.org account.

Let me know if this helped you out!

Cheers,

Clint

2 comments:

DanielH said...

With this setup you only receiving call from voip.ms what the setup to do calling?

gautam said...

Hi Clint

I managed to set up linphone on my Lumia 625, it registered but when I dial out, it seems my voice is not audible to the called party, though I can hear very well..